Mothers Out Front expanded into Virginia in 2016, beginning in Hampton Roads, because;
(1) the region is highly vulnerable to climate change impacts and is already experiencing serious and recurrent flooding;
(2) nearly half its population consists of communities of color, disproportionately impacted by climate change;
(3) it is home to the world’s largest concentration of military facilities; military leaders increasingly recognize the real threats presented by climate change, and several have expressed interest in working with us on a “military moms” initiative;
(4) grassroots organizing is needed in the region: local elected officials should be sympathetic, and yet they have only just begun to feel any pressure from their constituents to act on climate; and
(5) focusing on Hampton Roads lets us elevate to the national level the stories of mothers explaining how climate change is impacting people and communities in this country today, and what they are doing about it.
"Being a member of Mothers Out Front is important to me because it opens a platform for ordinary people to have a voice regarding extraordinary concerns. Mothers Out Front has helped opened my eyes to the reality that climate change is happening and there is an urgent need for change if we want a healthy future for our children. I am excited to be a part of an organization that is passionate about bringing action and awareness to the forefront and helping to hold elected officials to their responsibility and promise to serve the people." - Monique Adams, Norfolk, VA. (a city at high risk due to sea level rise.)